Squatters started settling Everglade (now Everglades City) in the 1860s
and 1870s. In 1892, George Storter, Jr., started a store, which became
a center of activity for the settlement. Everglades City was designated
Collier County's first seat in 1923. Within a few years, a road onnected
it to Tamiami Trail.
This view: Everglades City, 1911. Left: Storter house, store and post
office. Center: Cruise boat with shark hanging from bow. Right: shed for
storing alligator hides and gasoline.